YOUTH and FAMILY FAITH FORMATION
Please feel free to contact the office with questions or concerns regarding any area of our programming for your families’ faith formation. We are available by phone, email, or personal visit.
If you wish to visit the office, it would be to your benefit to call first and make sure someone will be in the office when you intend to come by. You will not gain access to the building if we are not in the office.
If you call during office hours and get our answering machine, please leave a message and one of us will return your call as quickly as possible. We often have meetings, programs, liturgies or special events that take us out of the office during business hours.
SCHEDULED HOURS: Monday-Friday | 10:00-4:00 Tuesday Evenings | 5:00-9:00
Saturday Mornings |hours vary after sessions end for the year; as always, please call before heading over
email: firstname.lastname@example.org This address is for general information for faith formation, youth ministry, sacramental programs and special events. The entire staff has access to this email and will respond to your message as quickly as possible. The staff still has their individual addresses should you wish to contact someone specific.
- Barbara Maloney, Director Family Ministry: email@example.com
- Chris Wilson, Director Youth Ministry: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jennifer Frost*, Youth and Family Ministry Assistant: email@example.com
- *Saturday primary sessions; Edge, and junior high Family Program sessions
- Sheila Thie, Youth and Family Ministry Administrative Assistant: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 716.675.3714 | Fax: 716.674.2793
Dedicated Ministry Phone: 716.775.QHYM (716.775.7496)
NEXT SESSION DATES:
- Grades PK-5 Saturday 9:45-11:15 starts 9/22/18
- Family Program Sunday 8:45 – 11:00 9/23/18
- Edge Tuesday evening 7:00 – 8:30 starts 10/2/18
- Life Teen Sunday 6:30 until after 8:00 Mass **9/23/18 Luau kicking off Life Teen starts at 5:30 pm.
- Calendars will be emailed at the end of August. Please visit the Youth Ministry website for dates & information on summer events & activities for Life Teen and Edge. Please call the Youth and Family Ministry office at 716-675-3714 if you have any questions. Registration forms are on this site. Please get them in as soon as possible. Resources must be ordered early and number of students are critical for that. IF you are new to the parish, or if you didn’t receive information from us regarding registration or Confirmation prep, please email email@example.com with your contact information and we will get materials out to you or call us at 716-675-3714.
SACRAMENTAL PREPARATION AT THE Q
The first step in the preparation process for the Sacraments of Initiation for children is a parent meeting where the parent role as primary educators of their children is discussed along with the specifics pertaining to the Sacrament itself and the prep process here at Queen of Heaven. Specific information regarding the 2018-19 Confirmation preparation process was sent to potential Confirmation candidates (and parents) who graduated from Queen of Heaven school or completed one of our faith formation programs through 10th grade. Reconciliation and Eucharist information will be sent soon. Please scroll down this page for the dates of the parent meetings for these sacraments.
THE RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION OF ADULTS
The RCIA is offered for individuals wishing to become members of the Catholic faith or receive the Sacraments of Initiation outside the traditional age/grade levels. If you wish to learn more about this, please contact any of our clergy, Fr. Greg, Fr. Luke, Deacon John or Seminarian Michael, via the rectory at 716-674-3468 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
PRIMARY SACRAMENT PREPARATION PROCESS
Children are prepared for these sacraments in the home by their parents/guardians, with assistance from the parish each family belongs to. Sacramental preparation is not part of school curriculum. If you are looking for information on the primary sacrament prep, have children in our school and belong to a different parish, please contact the Faith Formation Department at the parish you are registered at, if you have not heard from them already. Information regarding this is included in the parent packet that is distributed at the QH school parent orientation each year.
CONFIRMATION PREPARATION PROCESS
Currently, our Confirmation preparation process is open to students in grade 11 who have attended faith formation classes or Catholic school during 9th and 10th grade. Those in grade 12, who have not been confirmed and wish to be, are most welcome to join our preparation process. Those college age and beyond should contact the rectory for information on the adult Confirmation process. Sessions are held on Wednesday’s, once or twice a month, from October through February. We offer an alternate on Tuesday’s for those who cannot make Wednesday sessions. We also offer other opportunities to make up sessions for those with cannot attend scheduled sessions. The Confirmation date varies but is usually during the Easter Season. We don’t find out the date until mid-January usually, which is when we receive word from the Chancery. There is a retreat and service component to the process as well. We discuss all of this and more at the parent/candidate meeting that is held in September. If you are unable to make either scheduled meeting, we will meet privately with you and your candidate. It is extremely important that all parties are aware of what to expect during this process.”
SACRAMENTAL PARENT MEETINGS
- FIRST RECONCILIATION and EUCHARIST parent meetings are held in the fall. If you are a QH parish parent/guardian of children attending Queen of Heaven school or faith formation programs, you will receive information regarding additional opportunities to meet via email when your children are in the appropriate age.
- **If your children attend QH school and you belong to another parish, you need to contact that parish faith formation department if they have not already contacted you.
- CONFIRMATION parent/candidate meetings are held in mid-late September. This meeting is for both parent/guardians & candidates, unlike the primary sacrament meetings that are just for parents.
- Meetings dates are as follows:
- Confirmation – PARENTS and CANDIDATES: Tuesday 9/18 7:15 – 8:15 in church
- alternate date: Saturday 9/29 10:00 – 11:00 in church; church hall if there’s a funeral
- First Reconciliation – PARENTS ONLY: Tuesday 10/16 7:15 – 8:15 in church
- alternate date: Saturday 10/20 10:00 – 11:00 in church; church hall if there is a funeral
- First Eucharist – PARENTS ONLY: Tuesday 11/13 7:15 – 8:15 in church
- alternate date: Saturday 11/17 10:00 – 11:00 in church; church hall if there is a funeral
UPDATED September 2018